Our Blog


How Do I Become Guardian of My Brother With Alzheimer’s?

Posted by Laura E. Stubberud | Nov 08, 2022 | 0 Comments

Every state has its own guardianship laws, but they're all similar. You will have to petition the appropriate court in your brother's state to be appointed guardian. This is often the local probate court. As part of the process, you will have to produce medical evidence of your brother's incapacity, usually an affidavit by a doctor, and give notice to your brother's next-of-kin – his son. Then the court will have a hearing and make a decision.

Moving your brother to your state is a whole other process. You may need first to get permission from the court in your brother's state. And once your brother has moved to your state, you will have to initiate guardianship proceedings there and ultimately file the necessary reports and papers to terminate the guardianship in the original state.

About the Author

Laura E. Stubberud

Laura Stubberud has over two decades of experience in the practice of estate and family law in Nevada. After graduation from UCLA, she studied law at Southwestern University School of Law , graduating in 1992. With over 30 years of practice in Clark County, Nevada, Ms. Stubberud has substantial e...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Call us today at 702.625.9260. You’ll receive the highest level of personalized service.